The Anabela Scarf

Wednesday, 8 October 2008

While these days it can be cheaper to buy a scarf than to make one, there's still nothing like one that is homemade. Inspired by Anabela's love of lace, Jenny's post filled with textured knits, and most of all by the need for bulky warmth during Canadian winters!
This scarf has a lot of texture and as a bonus it is really simple to knit.
Simply, down the center is a forward cable on a six row repeat surrounded by seed stitch.

You will need:
10mm Straight Knitting Needles
2 Balls of Lion Brand Thick and Quick Wool
or other bulky yarn
Cable needle

Pattern:
Cable pattern between **
K=knit
P=purl
Pm=place marker. This will divide your cable stitches from the seed pattern stitches.
C4F=cable four forward.
Watch the knittinghelp.com video for a how-to. Don't be afraid, it is so easy if you can knit!
Cast on 18 stitches.
Row 1:
K1, P1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, pm, *k4*, pm, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, p1, k1.
Row 2: Pattern outside the asterisks stays the same for all rows.
k1, p1 six times then k1. cable pattern. k1, p1 six times then k1.
*P4*
Row 3: *C4F*
Row 4: *P4*
Row 5: *K4*
Row 6: *P4*
Repeat pattern until scarf reaches desired length.
Mine is just over six feet.
Bonus: It's so bulky it can be folded into a makeshift pillow. :)



15 comments:

Anna Allen said...

This is super cute! I may have to try this. Need to get myself back into knitting again! :)

hibou said...

Great scarf! And I mean, hey, if it doubles as a pillow...

$bash said...

this is such a cool scarf! is it worth attempting it as a novice knitter do you think?

erica-knits said...

Do it! It is so worth attempting. The cable might be tricky but that's why I put a link to the video on knitting help. Plus, the wool is so big you'll be done in no time.

Anabela said...

AAAHHH!!! Oh my goodness! What an honour. I think I have to practice my knitting so I can make one for myself! It is very sweet and looks so cozy!

amanda k said...

I'm almost halfway through my Anabela scarf and already in love. Beginner knitters, never fear -- this is only my second project and it's going great! Thanks so much for the pattern! It's going to be great in DC winter :)

羅志祥Little Pig said...

That's actually really cool!!AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色

Vivian said...

Would this be suitable for a man? If not can you reccomend a pattern?

ElizabethGS said...

actually I think it's perfect for both genders, even in the off-white Aran - but you could also make it in another colour if you're concerned, such as grey, tan, navy, etc. (more 'masculine' colours). Wouldn't it be gorgeous in a burgundy? I'm DEFINITELY going to knit Erica's patterns - this and the cowl, as gifts. These are absolutely MY taste. So excited about getting back to my knitting, now. Thanks, Erica!

Anonymous said...

I do the scarves all kinds of yarn and I just double them And just knit all the way through till it is done. I do about 26 inches long and use 26 stitches to start with. I am working on some for girls and boys at my school for Christmas. So I am planning on 12 for girls and 12 for the young men. I use size 11 needles. Everyone enjoys them. Michelle

Anonymous said...

I have looked and looked and can find no video showing the c4f. also the pattern is confusing with the row 2 instructions. I dont have enough stiches to jj1,p1 6 times plus do the cable and k1,p1 6 more times. cAn you help?

erica-knits said...

Hi! Here's a video on C4F: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q-pnP59hvc
It doesn't have sound, but it will give you a good idea. Eunny Jang does a great video on cables, as well: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVytv3PUlOM&playnext=1&list=PL30C554B030DA0147&feature=results_video

For the second row, you will have 18 stitches. That means 7 stitches on either side of the cable, which is four stitches. So: K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, Four cable stitches, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1.
Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

how do we cleverly conceal the yarn add ons when we finish a ball?

Anonymous said...

In row 2 the 4 cable stitches, it says cable pattern. What is do I with these 4 stitches in row2? Do I cable 4 forward???

Carmen Paisley said...

I love the look of the this scarf! I have knitted cable items before and have had to use a cable needle either in front or back. The directions are really confusing me. Ii want to get started right away. I do not understand exactly what to do on row 3. What IS the cable pattern? Thanks for any help you can provide.

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger